With the SciView project, the European Commission Directorate General for Health and Food Safety (DG SANTE) provides new insight on more effective and efficient actions to tackle challenges related to nutrition and physical activity. The pilot project aims toincrease the evidence-base by providing independent, accurate summaries of recent and relevant information and statistics on determinants of diet and physical activity and their impact on health.
The results will support policy makers to continue to develop policy instruments which enable people to make healthier lifestyle choices. The pilot project focused particularly on enhancing the development of healthier behaviours in vulnerable and/or at-risk subpopulations (including children, pregnant and lactating women, and older adults) and low socio-economic status groups (including low income and education). The research was conducted by ICF and covers following areas:
- Knowledge, attitudes and behaviours contributing to positive energy
- Dietary and physical activity patterns in Europe
- Consumption of fruit juices, artificially and sugar-sweetened beverages and its impact on weight status and health
- Consumption of high-fructose syrup and its impact on weight status and
- Relationship between weight status and physical activity with school and work performance outcomes
- Early warning indicators of obesity and physical inactivity trends
- Nutrition and physical activity guidelines for specific population groups
- Effectiveness and efficiency of health policies and interventions in nutrition and physical
Overweight, obesity and their related diseases represent a leading cause of morbidity and mortality, and pose a major challenge for the sustainability of healthcare systems of EU Member States. EuropeActive is promoting healthy and active lifestyles over 20 years and cooperates with the European Commission over 10 years to get more people, more active, more often. Recent activities include the Let’s #BEACTIVE project and EuropeActive’s own initiative National Fitness Days.