We are pioneering Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Research (DEI) in the European Fitness Sector. Our mission is to empower everyBODY within the fitness sector to achieve their full potential by uncovering hidden barriers, biases, and systemic hurdles obstructing progress. Join us in creating a more inclusive and equitable future for all.
This project is a joint initiative between RISE Global Women's Collective, Sport Alliance, and EuropeActive.
Do You Work in the Fitness Sector?
Are You An Employer In the Fitness Sector?
Partner with us to distribute this research.
Are You an Ally?
Join EuropeActive's Inclusion Council!
The goal is to enable everyone in the fitness sector to achieve their full potential, addressing invisible barriers, biases, and systemic challenges hindering progress. This initiative aspires to set an example for other industries and deliver the largest research study on employment within the fitness sector.
The key objectives of this research go beyond a one-time study; the partners are committed to establishing an evergreen dataset, with annual results published, including a summary featured in the European Market Report, to ensure the sustained development of a more inclusive and diverse fitness industry.
Building On 2022
This initiative builds upon the efforts of 2022 initiatives on gender equity led by RISE and EuropeActive, including the "Career Progression in the Fitness Industry" study conducted by Aston University, which aimed to identify areas where support was needed for women and industry leaders to utilise their underappreciated talents and expertise fully. In the same year, EuropeActive, Sport Alliance, and WIFA conducted a survey on Gender Equity in the Fitness sector to uncover perceptions of gender inequity among employees at all levels.
Rise Females In Fitness Collected published a study ‘It Isn’t a Level Playing Field in the Fitness Industry’ in 2022 that brought to light:
- Less women have permanent contracts.
- Women earn significantly less than our male counterparts.
- It's not confidence holding women back, they don't feel valued or able to find enough balance with life's demands to be successful in their careers.
- Women feel that there is gender bias, and it holds them back.
- Mother's feel that they pay a career penalty for taking parental leave.
- Lack of mentoring and coaching is one of the biggest career progression barriers cited by women.
- More than half of women have experienced sexual harassment and bullying at work.
WIFA, Europe Active and Sport Alliance completed a global survey exploring Gender Equity in the Fitness Sector published in 2022. Here are some of the key findings:
- 85% of males surveyed do not feel like there is gender bias in their workplace.
- Just 34% of men surveyed think that gender balance in leadership positions is important.
- The majority of women feel like gender inequality holds them back at work.
- Women in leadership feel like they had a harder time getting promoted because of their gender.
We need partners to distribute the survey from November to February. The survey is in English; if that suits your region, you can get started immediately.
Our partners include European Trade Associations, Fitness Club Operators, Fit Tech Companies, and more. Whether you're an employer or someone with a strong network, we need an army to help spread the word and distribute the survey.
We need our partners' commitment to promoting and distributing the survey through their networks and companies, announcing their participation in a press release, and receiving recognition in the report and our promotions. In turn, we will recognise them in all our communications, and their logo will be included in the final report. And let's not forget the good karma they'll build up!
Do you need the survey in another language?
If you can translate the questions into your native language, we will create a translated version of the survey for you to distribute. Don't worry; we have made the translation process quick and painless.
Empowering Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Study Timeline
Celebrating our partners who play a vital role in distributing the survey, ensuring comprehensive responses and inclusive representation.
The Inclusion Group
The Empowering Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in the European Fitness Sector Study, is an inspiring initiative led by EuropeActive's Inclusion Group. Are you ready to make a meaningful impact? Join us and be part of the change.